Aquatic Events Advice
As detailed in section 2.14 of the Harbour Master’s Directions, the Harbour Master must receive advance notification of aquatic events held within Port of Melbourne waters.
An Aquatic Event Advice (AEA) form must be lodged no less than five days before the event is due to take place. Applications requesting temporary waterway rule change, exemptions or an exclusion zone for an on-water event, boating activity or works need approval from Transport Safety Victoria and must be submitted at least five weeks before the event.
- Download the AEA (PDF 1.5 Mb). (This is an interactive PDF. Please download the file, open it in Adobe Acrobat Reader, type in your information, save it and email directly to Victorian Ports Corporation (Melbourne) via the link on the form.)
- Fill in the relevant sections on both pages of the AEA. In the section titled ‘Other relevant information’ include the general area in which the event is to take place, routes, turning marks and any other information related to the event.
- Ensure the emergency contact details section is completed.
- Email the completed AEA form to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Marine & Navigation Services department will review the AEA and:
- add the appropriate comments in the VPCM comments section
- allocate a number to the permit, and return via email
- distribute the permit to Melbourne VTS, Lonsdale VTS, Port Phillip Sea Pilots, exempt masters on coastal ships, government agencies, shipping agencies, port service providers and other port stakeholders.
Pursuant to section 23 of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic), event organisers must provide evidence that a risk assessment has been undertaken for the event, to:
- eliminate risks to safety so far as is reasonably practicable; and
- if it is not reasonably practicable to eliminate risks to safety, to reduce those risks so far as is reasonably practicable.
An AEA can be issued to cover regular events for the whole of the season, e.g. a single AEA can be issued for ‘Saturdays racing’ when the events take place in the same general area, at approximately the same time.
Harbour Master’s authority
The Harbour Master is empowered to control and direct the navigation and other movements of vessels in port waters.
For more information or help with applications, contact
Marine & Navigation Services
Tel: +61 3 9644 9758
Events held outside Port of Melbourne waters
Permission must be sought from the relevant authority.